We spend a lot more time, on this blog, talking about workplace safety. That is partly, of course because it’s what National Safety, Inc is all about. We provide safety equipment geared primarily for individuals in the workplace.
The truth is, however, that you are 11 times more likely to get killed or seriously injured in your home than you are in the workplace.
These statistics from the National Safety Council:
Americans are safer at work than they are at home – 11 times safer.
- 4,988 on-the-job deaths
- 3.7 million on-the-job disabling injuries
- $164.7 billion in on-the-job costs to society
- 3,200 off-the-job deaths
- 9.4 million off-the-job disabling injuries
- $240.3 billion in off-the-job costs to society
When you add friends and families into the equation there are a staggering 72,600 deaths that take place in homes and in the community from unintentional injuries, as well as over 20,200,000 disabling injuries, affecting 112 million households, costing Americans over $251.9 billion.
These injuries are from:
- falls, especially among adults 65 and older
- drivers who are distracted while texting or using their cell phones
- inexperienced teen drivers
- poisonings especially from unintentional drug overdose from painkillers or other prescription drugs
- sports injuries
- and many more incidents that we never intended to happen
If you want to do something about it, check out the NSC Safety & Health Facts Sheets. Some are available to members only, others are available to anyone. Either way, there’s plenty there to keep you busy.