From our friends at Superior Glove, why you should never use bleach when washing kevlar gloves.
Avocados have never been more popular. With the ketogenic diet telling us that they are a great source of healthy fat and with other sources telling us they are a great source of all kinds of vitamins and nutrients sales of avocados in the US has grown every year for the past 15 years. Last year alone Americans ate 4.25 billion avocados. That’s a lot of guacamole!
Problem is that injuries to hands have grown just as fast and the lowly avocado is to blame! Apparently emergency room have seen an increase in hand laceration from people cutting up or trying to remove the avocado pit. So much so, in fact, that the California Avocado Growers Association has put out a guide to help you navigate the cutting up of your avocado safely (Hint: don’t stab or try to embed a knife in the pit to remove it!).
I guess I should have posted this before cinco de Mayo!
Today, Friday April 28th is Canada’s National Day of Mourning. It is “A day set aside each year to remember those who have been killed or seriously injured in the workplace.”
Why is it that here in the US we don’t have something similar? If you Google USA National Day of Mourning here’s the results:
In the US, it’s primary an “anti-Thanksgiving” protest to highlight the plight of Native Americans.
I don’t want to minimize what the Native Americans are doing in their Day of Mourning but I do wonder why we don’t have a day similar to the Canada day of Mourning.
Lisa Gonzalez from elderscorps.org recently sent me these fire related links which I thought I would share with you. There’s a lot of great information here that could save you and/or those you love.
Fire safety is an important – and frankly, a lifesaving – topic, whether we’re talking about fires that start in the home or those that ignite outside.
- Disaster Safety for People with Disabilities: What to Do When Emergency Weather Strikes
- Fire Safety for Kids: Sparky the Fire Dog
- Open Campfire Safety Rules
- How to Prepare for a Wildfire
- Driving to Safety: The Car Owner’s Guide to Emergency Evacuation
- Survive the Unthinkable if Wildfire Threatens Your Home
- Home Fire Safety for Older Adults
- Fireplace and Chimney Problems, Tips & Prevention
- Burn Prevention and Fire Safety Tips
- Fire and Smoke Damage Restoration and Repair – Average Costs
- Burns: First Aid for Pets
Warning Signs of Sex Trafficking
Right here in America…
Thousands of children are exploited through prostitution. The most common ages a child is first exploited through prostitution is 14 to 16.
What if it’s someone you know…
- Could you recognize the warning signs of trafficking?
- Do you know how traffickers or pimps recruit their victims?
- What makes a child you love vulnerable to the dark underworld of the trafficking industry?