According to the National Safety Council, it is estimated that almost 400 people will lose their lives on the roads during this upcoming labor day weekend.
First recommendation… Buckle up! If everyone wore their seatbelt, the NSC estimates that 144 lives may be saved.
They also give the following safety recommendations to help make sure that you aren’t one of the fatalities this coming weekend:
- Refrain from using cell phones – handheld or hands-free – because there is no safe way to use a cell phone while driving
- Do not manipulate in-vehicle infotainment systems or electronic devices, including GPS systems, while the vehicle is in motion
- Make sure all passengers are buckled up and children are in safety seats appropriate for their age and size
- Allow plenty of travel time to avoid frustration and diminish the impulse to speed
- Drive defensively and exercise caution, especially during inclement weather
- Designate a non-drinking driver or plan for alternative transportation, such as a taxi
Read more in a NSC white paper entitled “Labor Day Holiday Period Traffic Fatality, 2014”
Please have a safe labor day weekend everyone!