I recently watched an episode of the “Brew Dogs” (if you haven’t watch “Brew Dogs” catch it on youtube). They were in Seattle and they were trying to make the most caffeinated beer in the world. To do this, coffee wasn’t going to be enough so they went to a lab and we got to watch as they extracted caffeine and made it into a powder.
Turns out brews dogs aren’t the only ones doing this and powdered caffeine is now available on the internet. The problem is that this pure caffeine in even small doses can be fatal.
At least one teen has died from an overdose already and rumors are going around that teenagers are starting to snort it. If that’s the case, more deaths will follow.
The FDA is warning people to stay away from it as standard measuring equipment like measuring spoons are accurate enough; even a teaspoons can kill.
Because caffeine is in a lot of food and drinks as a natural by-product of tea, coffee and other substances, it isn’t regulated by the FDA, something that the FDA plans on changing in the near future.
Right now, caffeine is sold as a dietary supplement and widely available.
The FDA is warning people to just stay away from it and make sure that your children and teenagers know that it isn’t something to mess with.