From our friends at convergence training, a page on machine guarding with video:
Machine Guarding Training Resources
Check out the following training resources for Machine Guarding (1910.212), which ranks tenth on OSHA’s Top Ten list this year.
- Machine guarding eLearning course. View a sample and/or contact us to get the full course.
- Free interactive machine guarding glossary (plus a lot of information and links to machine guarding-related materials). Use the glossary from our blog and/or download a free copy for your LMS.
- Free interactive “Wheel of Fortune”-style machine guarding word game. Play the game from our blog and/or download a free copy for your LMS.
This past weekend I was able to get away to Victoria BC for the weekend. While there my wife and I spent an afternoon at the Royal BC Museum. In the historical section of the museum they have a display of early mining procedures and practices. In this section, of special interest to me, as a safety professional, was the mine safety artifacts there. Thought I’d share a couple with you.
These are safety lamps designed to provide light without the risk of explosion. You can read the history of this type of lighting here.
Here’s a photo of the rescue squad for number 7 mine.
Finally, here’s a photo of one of the first CO detectors made by MSA
If you get a chance to visit the Royal BC Museum, it’s definitely worth taking the time.
E- Cigarette Child Poisoning Dangers
Electronic cigarettes are gaining popularity because they are marketed as a safer alternative to smoking. An increasing amount of children have been checking into the Texas Poison Center for electronic-cigarette poisoning .According to the poison center, 52 percent of the calls for e-cigarette exposure involved children under the age of five, from 2009 to 2013.E-cigarettes are battery-powered, and the liquid mixture inside the device contains nicotine.
But the Amarillo Poison Control Center says there are other dangers surrounding the device that parents should be aware of. Registered Nurse Cristie Johnston says a recent spike in phone calls, about e-cigarette poisonings, are causing concern. “In 2011, we had maybe 10 cases. But, last year we had over 100 cases reported, and those are just the ones we get calls about,” she said. The highly concentrated solution that goes into the electronic device is to blame. In many cases, children are drinking the liquid which can be very harmful.
The Poison Control Center says even just a small amount can lead to vomiting, sweating and seizures, which in some cases can lead to death. “It used to be that we were worried about cigarettes,” Johnston said. “One cigarette used to send a kid to a hospital and now it’s just a little bit of that concentrated liquid.”
With colorful casings and a variety of flavors, Johnston says the devices can be appealing to children, especially toddlers, who often put things in their mouths. “If they can walk, if they can crawl and they can pull up, they can get Of course, if you think your child has gotten a hold of your e-cigarette, contact Poison Control or call 9-1-1.into stuff,” she said. The best thing to do to protect your children, is lock up your e-cigarette when you are not using it.
BIG LURE FOR KIDS-CHOCOLATE, BUBBLE GUM AND COTTON CANDY FLAVORS
Children are especially drawn to the colorful liquid refills, which are often candy-flavored. You can buy e-cigarettes that taste like chocolate, bubble gum and cotton candy, in addition to other tobacco flavors. It seems pretty easy for [children] to have, maybe, a couple of drops of the liquid refill and for them to die. Children don’t even have to swallow the liquid to be hurt by it. The nicotine in it can be easily absorbed through the skin. Little kids can get toxic just by getting some on their skin.
CHILD SAFETY CAPS
Today, there are a few hundred different brands of e-cigarettes on the market. The FDA does not regulate what’s in them. It’s not regulated what exactly is in there, and the ones that have been tested show some dangerous chemicals including anti-freeze. There now is large calling to install child safety caps for the refill bottles. E Cigarette users should to make sure refills and e-cigarettes are stored out of the reach of children at all times. It seems inevitable that a child somewhere in the United States will probably ingest quite a bit and get very sick.
Symptoms of severe nicotine exposure include a pale appearance, flushing, sweating, headache, dizziness, hyperactivity or restlessness, vomiting, diarrhea, rapid heart rate, increased blood pressure, salivation and teary eyes. In very severe cases, the heart rate and blood pressure begin to drop to dangerously low levels and the patient can lapse into a coma, followed by difficulty breathing and even death.
When on the skin, nicotine in liquid form is easily absorbed. Even small amounts can cause irritation and a burning sensation.
Whether the child drank it or had skin contact, it is vital to immediately call the poison control center at 1-800-222-1222.If the liquid was swallowed, DO NOT induce vomiting. However, if there is skin contact, it is important to quickly wash the area thoroughly with mild soap and lots of water. And, to protect children from exposure in the first place, parents are urged to keep e-cigarettes and the solutions used to refill them far out of reach of children.
Information from Colleen Nelson Amarillo News channel 10 and Texas Panhandle Poison Control Center.
Today’s post comes to us courtesy of Ken Oswald, Safety and Security Manager for Plateau
With the recent classification of diesel fumes as a carcinogen, we are suddenly faced with a number of new health concerns. One of these has to do with diesel fumes from idling school buses.
The problem is that children breathe 50% more air per pound of body weight than do adults. When, as is the case in most schools, that air is made up in large part of diesel fumes it means that they are, over the course of the many years they’ll be in school, being exposed to high levels of fumes that have been shown to cause cancer. That’s pretty frightening.
The reason that the air they are breathing has so much diesel in it is because of the number of school buses that idle in front of the school before school lets out. The fumes produced by all those school buses is seeping into the school and into the lungs of children and personnel in the building.
At least one state is trying to do something about this issue and many other states are hopefully going to be following suit. For more information about the problem and what can be done to fix it go to the Illinois Clean School Bus Program page.
Use the materials (posters, stickers, fact sheets, etc…) and take them to your kids’ school. Start local and see what kind of difference you can make statewide and even country wide.
LATEST CANCER INFORMATION
PLEASE SHARE IT TO PEOPLE YOU CARE ABOUT
AFTER YEARS OF TELLING PEOPLE CHEMOTHERAPY IS THE ONLY WAY TO TRY AND ELIMINATE CANCER, FINALLY STARTING TO TELL YOU THERE IS AN ALTERNATIVE WAY … Must Read and Share
1. Every person has cancer cells in the body. These cancer cells do not show up in the standard tests until they have multiplied to a few billion. When doctors tell cancer patients that there are no more cancer cells in their bodies after treatment, it just means the tests are unable to detect the cancer cells because they have not reached the detectable size.
2. Cancer cells occur between 6 to more than 10 times in a person’s lifetime.
3. When the person’s immune system is strong the cancer cells will be destroyed and prevented from multiplying and forming tumors.
4. When a person has cancer it indicates the person has multiple nutritional deficiencies. These could be due to genetic, environmental, food and lifestyle factors.
5. To overcome the multiple nutritional deficiencies, changing diet and including supplements will strengthen the immune system.
6. Chemotherapy involves poisoning the rapidly-growing cancer cells and also destroys rapidly-growing healthy cells in the bone marrow, gastro-intestinal tract etc, and can cause organ damage, like liver, kidneys, heart, lungs etc.
7. Radiation while destroying cancer cells also burns, scars and damages healthy cells, tissues and organs.
8. Initial treatment with chemotherapy and radiation will often reduce tumor size. However prolonged use of chemotherapy and radiation do not result in more tumor destruction.
9. When the body has too much toxic burden from chemotherapy and radiation the immune system is either compromised or destroyed, hence the person can succumb to various kinds of infections and complications.
10. Chemotherapy and radiation can cause cancer cells to mutate and become resistant and difficult to destroy. Surgery can also cause cancer cells to spread to other sites.
11. An effective way to battle cancer is to STARVE the cancer cells by not feeding it with foods it needs to multiple.
What cancer cells feed on:
a. Sugar is a cancer-feeder. By cutting off sugar it cuts off one important food supply to the cancer cells. Note: Sugar substitutes like NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful, etc are made with Aspartame and it is harmful. A better natural substitute would be Manuka honey or molasses but only in very small amounts. Table salt has a chemical added to make it white in colour. Better alternative is Bragg’s aminos or sea salt.
b. Milk causes the body to produce mucus, especially in the gastro-intestinal tract. Cancer feeds on mucus. By cutting off milk and substituting with unsweetened soy milk, cancer cells will starved.
c. Cancer cells thrive in an acid environment. A meat-based diet is acidic and it is best to eat fish, and a little chicken rather than beef or pork. Meat also contains livestock antibiotics, growth hormones and parasites, which are all harmful, especially to people with cancer.
d. A diet made of 80% fresh vegetables and juice, whole grains, seeds, nuts and a little fruits help put the body into an alkaline environment. About 20% can be from cooked food including beans. Fresh vegetable juices provide live enzymes that are easily absorbed and reach down to cellular levels within 15 minutes t o nourish and enhance growth of healthy cells.
To obtain live enzymes for building healthy cells try and drink fresh vegetable juice (most vegetables including bean sprouts) and eat some raw vegetables 2 or 3 times a day. Enzymes are destroyed at temperatures of 104 degrees F (40 degrees C).
e. Avoid coffee, tea, and chocolate, which have high caffeine. Green tea is a better alternative and has cancer-fighting properties. Water–best to drink purified water, or filtered, to avoid known toxins and heavy metals in tap water. Distilled water is acidic, avoid it.
12. Meat protein is difficult to digest and requires a lot of digestive enzymes. Undigested meat remaining in the intestines will become putrified and leads to more toxic buildup.
13. Cancer cell walls have a tough protein covering. By refraining from or eating less meat it frees more enzymes to attack the protein walls of cancer cells and allows the body’s killer cells to destroy the cancer cells.
14. Some supplements build up the immune system (IP6, Flor-ssence, Essiac, anti-oxidants, vitamins, minerals, EFAs etc.) to enable the body’s own killer cells to destroy cancer cells. Other supplements like vitamin E are known to cause apoptosis, or programmed cell death, the body’s normal method of disposing of damaged, unwanted, or unneeded cells.
15. Cancer is a disease of the mind, body, and spirit. A proactive and positive spirit will help the cancer warrior be a survivor.
Anger, unforgiving and bitterness put the body into a stressful and acidic environment. Learn to have a loving and forgiving spirit. Learn to relax and enjoy life.
16. Cancer cells cannot thrive in an oxygenated environment. Exercising daily, and deep breathing help to get more oxygen down to the cellular level. Oxygen therapy is another means employed to destroy cancer cells.
(PLEASE SHARE IT TO PEOPLE YOU CARE ABOUT)
(Copied from https://www.facebook.com/thenaturesfarmacy)