In an attempt to further clean the air, especially in areas that rely heavily on wood as a fuel for heating homes, the EPA is proposing a new standard for wood stoves, pellet stoves, hydronic heaters, forced air furnaces and masonry heaters.
The proposal was posted on January 3, 2014 on the EPA website. Strangely enough the proposal completely ignores fireplaces.
The plan they are proposing is one that they are seeking to implement over the course of the next 5 years.
To site contains details for each of the following types of heaters:
- Proposed Standards for New Residential Wood Heaters (PDF)(354 pp, 1 MB)
- Proposed Wood Heater NSPS Overview Fact Sheet (PDF)(4 pp, 419 K)
- Fact Sheet: Proposed Requirements for Wood Stoves and Pellet Stoves (PDF)(2 pp, 101 K)
- Fact Sheet: Proposed Requirements for Hydronic Heaters and Forced Air Furnaces (PDF)(3 pp, 108 K)
- Fact Sheet: Proposed Requirements for Masonry Heaters (PDF)(2 pp, 81 K)